Thursday, December 18, 2014

Lessons and Carols

Baby Leopard and I went to Lessons and Carols last week. A couple of thoughts:

"Sing we, too, of Mary's sorrows, of the sword that pierced her through, when beneath the cross of Jesus she his weight of suffering knew..." reminds me of Fr. S saying that some women feel alienated by the Catholic tradition that Mary experienced no pain in childbirth (her pain was, instead, the pain of His death). I didn't see what he meant at the time, but I sure do now.

I also had a new take on Silent night--it sounds a little idealistic and kitchy and sentimental--"Holy Infant so tender and mild, sleep in heavenly peace, sleep in heavenly peace." I mean, it would be great if only they did sleep in heavenly peace. But waking up 30 minutes after you put them down, I'm just not sure if they do. If baby Jesus did, then yet another reason to feel alienated from Mary.

No comments: