Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Rant

So I'm always pissed off when I go to the pediatrician (which is, of course, all the time) because they very ostentatiously write down the time I arrive (generally before the appointment time; occasionally a few minutes after) and then proceed to make me wait up to 40 minutes to see the doctor (as I bounce the baby around and try to distract him from the fact that we're stuck in a small room that is not our living room). I really, really want to pull out a big sheet of paper and a big marker and ostentatiously write down the time at which I am finally seen by a doctor.

However, today took the cake: we came in to receive a couple of vaccines (we divided up the vaccines from his four-month appointment into two different appointments). I walked up to the receptionist who proceeded to ignore me as she dealt with another situation (fair enough). In the middle of dealing with this other situation, she looked up at me and was like, "What do you need?" I said, "I'm here to sign in." (There was no pen with the sign-in sheet.) She continued to ignore me and dealt with the other situation (which was like, a mis-scheduled appointment, not a sick child, just to be clear). When she was really ready to talk to me, "I said I'm here with Baby Leopard." She said, "Which shots are you here for?" I said, "I have no idea." She looked it up and then said, "Oh, we're out of Prevnar," and tells me she'll call me when they get it in. (COULD YOU POSSIBLY HAVE CALLED ME WHEN YOU RAN OUT?!) She then proceeds to tell me that she'll cancel my appointment and I won't have to pay a cancellation fee. (HOW GENEROUS! IT'S YOUR FAULT THAT I CAN'T GO TO MY APPOINTMENT TO WHICH I BUNDLED UP MY BABY AND WALKED FOR 20 MINUTES IN 20 DEGREE WEATHER?! HOW NICE OF YOU NOT TO CHARGE ME A CANCELLATION FEE.) Finally, because there was nothing to say, I simply turned and walked away. "Sorry!" she called quietly after me.

No comments: