Tuesday, June 30, 2015

More Movies


Art and Craft

This is well worth watching. Mark Landis, who is a gifted forger and is schizophrenic, donates his forgeries, passing them off as originals, to museums around the country. Only when he is dressed up, acting like a rich donor, is he treated with respect. The film itself is respectful of Landis, I think, portraying Matt Leininger, a museum employee he deceived, who then became obsessed with outing Landis to the point of losing his job (he has OCD) in a more negative light. Also, a reminder that each person deserves respect.



Brighton Rock

I guess I should have picked the old one, but I like this one pretty well.


A Most Wanted Man

Slow at the beginning and then it spend up. Psychological and interesting; good, not great.


The Pervert's Guide to Ideology

Of course I disagreed with his reading of The Sound of Music (on Catholicism). And with his view of Christianity as more atheist than atheism (that may or may not be an accurate read of The Last Temptation of Christ; I don't know, since I haven't seen it; but it just isn't an accurate reading of Christianity).


Timbuktu

Heartbreaking portrayal of life under a fundamentalist jihadist regime: no music, no smoking, and arbitrary rules galore. Beautifully shot; slow moving.


Finding Vivian Maier

This was a good movie for us: it combines my love of street photography with Francisco's love of documentaries. Maier's pictures are excellent; her character is interesting. I ever so slightly felt like I was being marketed to throughout the film, though, which of course I resented.

No comments: