Friday, December 11, 2015

More Movies

As you might have noticed, our movie watching has slowed to a crawl, both due to some shows we watch starting up again, and to Francisco's new job, and classes going again for me. It's really embarrassing. Anyway, weeks ago we watched The Fountainhead (when Diana was here! at her suggestion!). I never read the book, but I loved the movie. Okay, okay: maybe it was a little bit overt, but you know I'm a sucker for a philosophical movie. It was very Tocquevillian in its analysis of one of the problems of democracy: that it's uncomfortable with genius.

Plus there's Gary Cooper. And Ayn Rand wrote the screenplay herself.


Francisco sold me on Famous Nathan by arguing that it has a 100 % on Rotten Tomatoes. He didn't mention that only 7 people have reviewed it. (Not that I really had any choice in the matter.)

Made by the grandson of the subject, creator of a hotdog store that began on Coney Island. There are some tough old ladies in that film, pushing their husbands around. (In one, Nathan's wife Ida tells him she doesn't want him doing an interview because it's time for him to nap.) I told Francisco that he's lucky that he got me--I'm much easier going than they were. He said, What are you talking about? You're just like them.

The filming is strange--lots of effects and old film or film made to look old, I'm not sure which.


We watched Mr. Holmes with the family over Thanksgiving. It's slow and deliberate, but a charming picture of a friendship between an old man and a little boy. And the mystery is tied up in memory.


5 to 7 was a bit much--a story of an affair, and I guess I can't shouldn't give away the ending here. A talk-y romantic film, which we generally like, but very nostalgic, which I may be less committed to.


Me and Earl and the Dying Girl--quirky indy film. Well done. Probably my favorite of the batch.


No comments: