Saturday, April 23, 2016

More Movies


Infinitely Polar Bear

This was pretty moving and honest--about family life with mental illness.


Shawshank Redemption

I watched this with my students. On friendship and hope in a system designed to discourage both.

I've been thinking lately about how surveillance both in prisons and outside of them makes us lose our ability to be free (in the sense of self-governing). This film illustrates that.


Partners in Crime

This is Agatha Christie in BBC miniseries form. I have no previous experience with Agatha Christie, but this was just my speed: Not only is the main character also the main character in Call the Midwife, but her nickname is Tuppence, which is I think now my second favorite nickname after Moneypenny. (Is it a British thing to nickname women after money?) Anyway, I have never been successful in getting anyone to nickname me after money, but would be thrilled if it worked. (I've never really had a nickname at all, except for one extremely obliging friend in Texas who called me Anne after Anne of Green Gables.)


The Lady in the Van

Maggie Smith is wonderful. What a story.

It's obvious it came from a play (and is a play on a play?). And the hokey ending is sort of great, too.

No comments: