Thursday, February 23, 2017

Children's Books

I don't do a lot of pleasure reading these days, except every evening from 7:30-8. I realize I haven't given you an update on my favorites lately.


Matisse's Garden was made from the wonderful MoMa exhibit of Matisse's cutouts. It's chock full of reproductions, in addition to a description of Matisse's process.


It pairs well with Bonjour, Mr. Satie. I worship Tomie de Paola and love everything he writes, but this book was a real treat--it's about a fight between Picasso and Matisse, with appearances by Gertrude Stein.


Emily, illustrated by Barbara Cooney, is a charming book about Emily Dickinson.


Maurice Sendak's In the Night Kitchen is a charmingly illustrated poem. I think it's my absolute favorite, and we finally own it. It's only a positive for me that it was originally banned.


While Anno's Italy is still my favorite, all of them are great.


The Busiest Street in Town is an ode to walkability and neighborhoods. I also found a really old book called All around the Town. While it's pretty dated, it's fully of nice little poems that praise urban life.

No comments: