Monday, December 4, 2017

RANT

Thank heavens for this blog, because my mood does not seem to be improving.

So, aside from all of the regular BS about these credit reporting agencies gathering your information and then losing it, opening you up to identity theft, apparently you should also freeze the credit information of your minor children. According to the internet, you are 50 times more likely to be a victim of identity theft as a minor and that 1 in 10 children has their identity stolen by 18. I don't know if this is true, I just thought as long as I'm freezing our credit, I should prob freeze the kid's.

Side note: Mom and Dad--if you haven't frozen your credit yet, please do that. Also Stearns.

As far as freezing minor children's credit, companies do not want to do this. Some states have passed laws requiring that they do. They do it only kicking and screaming--requiring piles of information that all varies. One company requires an official copy of the birth certificate (in PA, $20). Another requires a notarized letter asserting that I am the kid's mother. Now what the $%&* does a notarized letter prove? Nothing! I can assert anything I want and notarize it and the notarization doesn't make it true--it just affirms that I, indeed, am the one who asserted it! What does prove something, and what I have already included is the kid's birth certificate, his social security card, my social security card, and my driver's license, as well as the $5 fee set by law.

Anyway, after two of their employees told me that a notarized letter wasn't necessary today, and I was talking to the third higher up employee--after an hour of being on the phone--and he told me it was, I lost it. And for the first time, I talked rudely to an employee who was giving me information and cursed at him. I submit--that company deserves it.

Another aside--I hear there's a fourth credit reporting agency? In a hundred years will there be a hundred credit reporting agencies with whom you must freeze your information. This is not right. My new platform for office: Stop those *&%$ credit reporting agencies.

4 comments:

Julia said...

Hear, hear! And while I hope your mood improves, I must say that I find these rants extremely satisfying to read. I too am a curmudgeon.

Emily Hale said...

Hahaha--so glad someone's finding joy in them:) It makes me feel somewhat better to write it--and even better to know someone is listening! Thanks.

Hopkins said...

Your rants are excellent. This is also truly absurd!

Emily Hale said...

I miss you!!!