Monday, February 26, 2018

St. Joseph's Oratory


After a long climb up many steps, I remember being seriously disappointed by the inside of St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal, especially after its attractive exterior.

My husband made me climb up the many stairs and didn't warn me that what was at the top would be a let down.


The aesthetic is very Metropolis, isn't it?


Anyway, I was at a work dinner the other night, at which St. Joseph's Oratory came up. I asked, Is that the church with the very disappointing interior? And my interlocutor hedged, It depends on your taste.

Really? Is this just a question of taste??

2 comments:

Hopkins said...

Ugh. I don’t remember the inside of the church at all. All I remember is the view. St. AndrĂ© was one of my mother’s favorites so I suspect her joy in being there eliminated any other disappointments.

Emily Hale said...

Yeah--I remember visiting the St. Andre stuff when we were there but didn't know anything about him. I read more about him after this conversation--very moving!