Sunday, March 18, 2018

Dear Diary, Cayman Islands

Day 1:

I leave our town in Indiana at 3:50 a.m. It is 32 degrees and snowing. In the afternoon, I am at Diana's pool, which is super fancy. Little swinging hamocky chairs, reclined chairs carefully submerged in several inches of water, couches, etc. The sun is wonderful, being alone is wonderful, reading a whole book just for fun (okay, not really--rereading one that MSI and I are planning to write about). But still--a novel!

And hanging out with Diana and her husband and son in the evening is really great. Because of course while being alone is wonderful, one can have too much of it.

Day 2:

First, writing up a review that I just realized was due today. And then driving bravely on the left side of the road through three roundabouts, getting lost twice, hitting the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal every. single. time. and finally making it to a snorkeling beach. I graded and read and snorkeled and took a nap.


There are roosters instead of seagulls on the beach, trying to seduce passersby with their crows. It doesn't really work.


The quiet is amazing. I love reestablishing my old internal dialogue, which sometimes gets muted in the constant action of work and family life. I love to remember myself. Okay, okay--there was also a really annoying woman in the next group of vacationers and when the roosters would really start to get on my nerves, I would go back to snorkeling. And I wasn't totally alone--I brought my baby along and he really likes this trip because he's kicking more than ever.

I got to see lots of different coral and lots of different beautiful fish. Including like 25 yellow striped ones hanging out in a pack underneath some coral. And one scary looking three-feet long, narrow one that glared at me as it went past.

Day 3:

A gift shop to buy something for the kid, the National Gallery for Miss Lassie paintings, the Cultural Center to (unsuccessfully) beg them to let me into her house museum (closed for renovations--has been since the last time I visited about five years ago).







This one isn't by Miss Lassie, but I include it here because I like it a lot. 

And then a rocky beach to snorkel and play in the waves and read. I'm no longer scared to death to drive on the left side of the road.




In the evening: sunset on the beach and fish tacos. And hours and hours of talking with Diana and her husband.

Day 4:

Packed a lunch to eat while we watched the kitesurfers. Afternoon by the pool, grading and dozing. Mass. Dinner and netflix and tea and talking for hours and hours.



Day 5:

Diana made crepes for breakfast and then we relaxed on surfer's beach before packing up and heading to the airport. And in the night--back to freezing Indiana.



2 comments:

Hopkins said...

I can’t wait to remember myself. That really struck a cord. ❤️

Emily Hale said...

Highly recommended! But somehow we need to bring this back and do it in the midst of the rest of life, too, right?