Thursday, July 19, 2018

Rom Coms

We've been on a romcom kick lately and it's been very enjoyable:

The Bridget Jones Trilogy


Eminently watchable. I'm pretty sure this is the second time I've seen them all, and this time I watched them in reverse order and they held up well. It helps that I have my own Colin Firth to watch them with.

Maggie's Plan



It starts out totally predictably, but adds a few unexpected twists. It's endlessly talky, which is just really too much. (How could a movie with Greta Gerwig and Ethan Hawke be otherwise?) Julianne Moore is truly, truly terrible when she's doing accents. (I think she's just one of my least favorite actresses ever. But especially when she's doing accents.)

Moonstruck


I'd never ever heard of this and ended up liking it a lot. It's sort of novelistic in its repetitions and patterns. Cher and Olympia Dukakis are great. And the filming is artistic and interesting. This one was a really unexpected treat.

2 comments:

Hopkins said...

Yes! Moonstruck is so so good. ‘The Godfather’ of RomCom (and not *just * because it’s Italian, but because it’s epic.

Emily Hale said...

Yes! Why have I never heard of it before?!