Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Miracles

The kid has been suggesting recently and repeatedly that we throw the baby in the water. "He will float," he claims. He will not float, I reply. "But that baby that Papa told us about floated."

Ah, the baby that Papa told us about. He heard about that baby on the news. I can't remember the details, but the point was that the baby, who should have been at the bottom of the lake, was miraculously floating face up. Let's not try that with our baby. "Why would that baby float and our baby wouldn't?" the kid asks.

***

Some people have problems with God given that evil exists. That is no problem for me--free will and all. My problem is with miracles. 

I think they're little reminders of heaven. It makes sense that Jesus performed some. But now--why? More specifically, why for some people and not others. It just doesn't seem fair. 

Fairness is my number 1 virtue, a virtue that has had to be totally relinquished in light of marriage and parenthood and life with a toddler. But I still hold it as an ideal, an ideal to which miracles simply do not conform.

***

That's it--no resolution, much like many aspects of my life at the moment. 

2 comments:

Miss Self-Important said...

Justice As Sometimes-Fairness, by Emily Hale.

Emily Hale said...

This is excellent.