Friday, July 6, 2018

On Marriage

In the midst of all the adjustments and difficulties and frustrations of marriage, I feel really fortunate that Francisco and I are able to talk and think together about what's best for our family in the midst of oftentimes big changes. In marriage more than anything else I have experienced what Aristotle describes as politics: Through reason and discussion, we reflect on and work together toward what is just and advantageous for our little community. We often talk and deliberate and discuss till we're exhausted--for cumulative hours and hours. But by now I trust that we'll agree at the end because we both seek to understand each other, and we both have the best interests of our family at heart.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I like this. A lot.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely anniversary thought--Happy Fifth!!!

Emily Hale said...

Thank you both!