Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Paris, Phone Pics


The reality is, with baby, many of my pictures were from my phone. Here is where I attended mass the day I arrived. And where, oddly, a man passed out on top of me and the baby during mass and the men on both sides of me were effusive about the baby and extremely helpful.

(Perhaps women don't travel often with babies and large pieces of luggage, but everyone I encountered everywhere was extremely helpful. I mean, more helpful than I ever could have imagined anyone being. There was a train conductor who held the baby so I could put my carrier on; there was a woman who carried my luggage to the back of the train; there was a seatmate on the airplane who did everything she possibly could for me--and even offered to move so I could have a free seat--I'm really glad I didn't let her; there was a seatmate on the way back who graciously woke up every half an hour so we could get up; numerous people on the flight who held the baby so I could go to the bathroom; at the airport in France the security person helped me clip my carrier, put on my backpack, and tied my shoes; they sent me to the front of every line in the French airport immediately; and I could make a list that goes on forever. People loved the baby and did everything they could to help me be more comfortable. But one of the men who sat beside me at that first mass said he was honored and that it was a great experience for him, as he helped me into my coat. They must not have so many babies there?)



Oh, truly terrible phone snaps. But this was my walk home from mass to the apartment where I was staying. It got dark and so the monuments came out. Slightly magical. (Although by and large I will say: I think I like smaller old cities like Bratislava better. I'm not sure--it's not my final word, but I feel like Paris is over-romanticized in films and so I may have been just a little disappointed. No one over-romanticizes Bratislava--or even Compiegne--so it far outshines my expectations. I mean, there's just so much pressure to adore Paris. During the day, I didn't even like the Eiffel Tour, but to be honest, when it was lit up at night, it was seductive.)



From a cab ride--I think it was the opera.


Some church. Would that I could have gone in more.


Okay, okay. It's pretty.


The outside of Notre Dame. The misty rain and chilly weather meant there were very few tourists anywhere, which was great.

No comments: