Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Corona.24

I've been thinking about this Bible verse a lot recently: "And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!" (Did you think when I said I was thinking about a Bible verse a lot that it was an inspirational one? Surely you don't come here for your memes with pretty flowers and Bible verses?!)

I'm not saying it's the end of the world. However, I feel like the overall attitude of workplaces is much like this verse--"It sucks to be you! Sorry about that!" 

A couple of colleagues have offered to help with my workload, but in general, people listen sympathetically and then invite me to more pointless zoom meetings that are not really how I should be spending my time right now. As someone who is only on the track to stability and does not yet have it, it's really hard to ask for more accommodations. And I am not yet drowning, but drowning is always a possibility! (metaphorically, not literally)

Workplaces need to recognize that we are all multi-dimensional human beings, not just employees. And these trying times bring new challenges to all of us in different ways. These challenges should be recognized and accommodated. 

No comments: