Thursday, August 23, 2007

On Proper Conversion

From The Economist, which, incidentally, publishes fine obituaries, on the death of Aaron Jean-Marie Lustiger, cardinal and archbishop, convert from Judaism, on August 5th:
The future cardinal was convinced, even then, that he had not abandoned one iota of his Jewishness. To say he had, he once explained, “is like denying my father and other, my grandfathers and grandmothers”. He had kept the name Aaron as his first name at baptism, only adding Christian ones. ...

He taught himself Hebrew in readiness for his aliyah, or formal return to Israel. Every detail of his funeral, with its two rites, he carefully arranged himself. Then he wrote his epitaph: I was born Jewish. I received the name of my paternal grandfather, Aaron. Having become Christian by faith and baptism, I have remained Jewish. As did the Apostles.


Newman would approve.

No comments: