Wednesday, September 5, 2007


Checking the weather is, I think, of less value to me than to the average person, because I have great difficulty imagining the implications of the temperature for my what I choose to wear. Mostly, I choose my outfit based on how the temperature felt the day before, which works some days and fails miserably on others.


While I would never give up the ability to know in advance about the likelihood of rain (I abhor being caught umbrella-less in the rain), I wonder if we don't lose something important with the increasing predictability of weather. Rain or snow is never a surprise these days (I remember waking up when I was little to a deep snow that happened overnight and being absolutely surprised). Also, we rely less on our connection to nature to predict the weather (i.e. looking at the sky or noting the frizziness of one's hair) and more on our connection to the Internet.


The obvious objection to what I'm saying is that predicting the weather allows us to save lives in big weather events.

No comments: