Sunday, September 23, 2007

Modern Love





One of the delights of the weekend (or, more specifically, of Friday night between 1 and 2 a.m.) is the New York Times Modern Love column (found on the Style page). Mostly, it is interesting as a sociological commentary on the bizarre-ness of love in the contemporary world. You know, the I-fell-in-love-with-a-convict sort of thing, with occassionally more upbeat I-adopted-20-children columns. It is my goal in life to have all of the people I know read this column (apart from my mom, who mumbles that it is "all trash").


This week's column, however, is not for the faint of heart--it is about "suspension," which seems to be another imaginative way for people to break out of their loneliness (by hanging by their skin!). This really is pushing existentialism and the idea that there is no such thing as human nature to the limits.