Friday, September 21, 2007

On the Virtues of Hyperbole


Hyperbole taps into people's dramatic, poetic, aesthetic side, which it is essential to cultivate. If we leave everything to cool, calculating reason, then we will just be enlightenment clones or Rawls or something equally as horrible. I really cannot understand people's aversion to my bits of exaggeration from time to time (okay, inordinate amounts on a regular basis...).


Either way, this was the message of the delightful Big Fish--sometimes the best (and always the most fun) way to get to the truth is through an exaggeration. A life that seeks to eliminate the urge for poetry and adventure (such as that of the son, at the beginning of the film, when he was seeking the truth in such a manner that prevented him from hearing it) is lacking, to say the least.

I find it dull when people point out dryly that I am exaggerating. Of course I realize I am, that's the point. I find it much more endearing when they laugh at me and shake their heads.

No comments: