Monday, October 15, 2007

The Problems of Running

This is all a bit hypocritical because I thought of these reasons in my head today as I was out for a run.

So, the problems of running:

First, walking is infinitely more civilized. Walking is enjoyable, calm, and restores ones soul. Walking rightly understood involves beautiful countryside, or at least beautiful houses. Walking ought to involve conversation (if no people are present, God will do). It is a high-order leisurely activity. Running, on the other hand is uncivilized and inhumane.

Running, these days, often doesn't have a reason. If one is training for a race, it is just a made-up reason. There is little emphasis on competition or winning; rather, we focus on bettering our own time or, worse yet, on "just finishing." I can understand running to beat other people, but that isn't why most people run.

Furthermore, running is hard on our bodies. I'm not sure if that's true at all, but I think it's hard on one's knees and can also lead to varicose veins. Walking, on the other hand, is easy on our bodies.

Even worse than running, I think, is the gym (okay, hypocritical here, too...). I'm quite certain that in twenty plus years there will be diagnosed disorders of people who have spent inordinate amounts of time on elliptical machines in front of televisions. Probably eventually gyms will be made to look like the outdoors, with pictures of mountains and hills and lakes on the televisions.

No comments: