Sunday, October 7, 2007

Things You Learn at a Bridal Shower

Evidently (how do I say this politely?), the timing in which a couple comes together influences whether a baby, if conceived, will be a boy or a girl. I'm intrigued: while I grant that this is most likely an urban legend, if it's true, is it ethical to try for a particular gender? I'm inclined to think no. (This somehow reminds me of fishing as a child at the carnival in a fake stream for yellow ducks with numbers on the bottom. It also sort of reminds me of Jacob and the speckled and spotted cattle whose birth he biologically engineered.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we are the ones who determine the sex of the child by the mere factor of timing, then what exactly was God's role in the creation of the individual?

Sounds suspiciously like a subordinate role.

John C. Hathaway said...

Well, C. S. Lewis would say that God determined how our bodies work to begin with.

There have been some legitimate studies on this subject, so it's not entirely an "urban legend," but it is the kind of stuff that makes most people look awry at NFP, thinking that NFP is the same kind of "old wive's tale."