Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ode to a Cavalier

Mine was red, but you get the picture. We drove it, today, to a junk yard. As the man "forgot his checkbook," we are only hoping for a hundred dollars in the mail. Ah, well.

Let's see: the car was a graduation gift. My sister and I drove it jet lagged to Texas immediately upon our return from Europe the summer I got it. I nursed it through various maladies, such as a crusty catalytic converter, a new flywheel, replacing the freeze plugs (that included about a thousand trips to the auto parts place, trying to find ones of the correct size), to name really only a few of the things that went wrong with it.


On that car, I learned how to check oil, replace headlights, and replace fuses--the grand total of all my mad car skills (boys dig car skills). I never crashed it. That is the first car that holds that distinction.

But boy, I will miss it--listening to the radio way up loud by myself and feeling like a very independent woman/race car driver.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
whigwham said...

intriguing! a deleted post. must have been laced with profanity. or truth.

whigwham said...

P.S. Hale's Cavalier, R.I.P.
P.P.S. I'm pretty damn sure said car was not the souped up, spoiler-sporting version.

Emily Hale said...

But I did always want the spinny hub caps, even if I never got them... (didn't even notice the spoiler...)

P.S. Small children read this blog.