Saturday, March 15, 2008

Margie

An awkward girl (maybe this is why I identify with this film) whose bloomers always fall down ends up marrying the very handsome French teacher. While I've just spoiled the film for you, dear reader, this should not prevent you from watching this delightful film, preferrably with me. And the song in this clip, A Cup of Coffee, A Sandwhich and You, is also charming.

This brings up the question of spoilers--I don't think that there is any such thing. I'd much rather know what happens before it happens. Then it is like watching the film a second time through on the first viewing. Since I'm so slow at "getting" the meaning, it is necessary to enlighten me before hand.

2 comments:

Emily Hale said...

Additional reasons that this film is fabulous:
1) the presence of Jeanne Crain
2) the boy, Jonny (nicknamed "Jonny-kins"), keeps the fur coat on for most of the film
3) the memorable line, "Take the Marines out of Nicaragua"

Stearns said...

a) I'd slam the window too.
b) It should be creepy when Mr. Fontaine comments that he'd like to see Margie in one of those skating outfits, but somehow it's not. Although I don't think a line (or a plot) like that would fly nowadays.
c) I always thought the reason you identified with this film was because of Margie's nose.