Monday, April 28, 2008

On Navel Gazing


I'm not sure that navel gazing should be a criticism. Navel gazing involves contemplate one's origins, which are often considered through myths. Considering where one came from can offer important insight into one's tradition and into the future. These myths regarding beginnings point to something true about man (since everything in human nature is present in man at all times).

In Lily Allen's "Littlest Things," she points back to her memories of the beginning of a relationship in order to ask if there is any future there:


Sometimes I find myself sittin' back and reminiscing
Especially when I have to watch other people kissin'
And I remember when you started callin' me your miss's
...
Dreams, Dreams
Of when we had just started things
Dreams of you and me
It seems, It seems
That I can't shake those memories
I wonder if you have the same dreams too.
...
So come on, Tell me
Is this the end?

No comments: