Tuesday, May 20, 2008

On Loneliness


"I don't think SATC [Sex and The City] is just for girls. I am a reasonably well-adjusted bloke and I am looking forward to seeing the film with my girlfriend. I am then looking forward to poking my eyes out with red-hot pokers, burning my skin off, and rolling around in salt for a while."—Phil Mann, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Ah! With whom am I going to see this? As far as I can count, I have no friends in DC up for this. And as I don't believe in going to movies by myself...well, I'm in a bad position. And, I mean, who's keeping track?, but wasn't this supposed to come out in March?

From a conversation with my friend, Sayers, who this weekend wore a dress much lovelier than the one to the above: "I heard someone dies."
Emily: "I wonder who it is."
Sayers: "Maybe Samantha?"
Emily: "No, Samantha can't die--she's absolutely essential to the group dynamic, and way too lovable...It's probably either Charlotte or Miranda."
Sayers: "It can't be Miranda!" And then we both exploded in laughter as we realize that we've just attempted to save from death our own characters (don't be confused: those quizzes are right--every woman/person is a Sex and the City character, a Jane Austen heroine, an ancient Greek political philosopher, etc.).

No comments: