Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Airplane Movies

While on my return flight to Dulles I had thankfully finished my last reading from my trip--Hannah Arendt's The Human Condition, so I could guilt-free-ly watch all of the movies I wanted. What did I choose? The Other Boleyn Girl, Made of Honor, and 27 Dresses. The most sophisticated choices imaginable, I know.

I'd wanted to see The Other Boleyn Girl for quite some time, but as I'm scared to death at the prospect of Sterns and I falling in love with the same person, it took a while for me to work up the courage. This movie actually did capture well some dynamics of the older sister/younger sister relationship. The younger sister surprisingly forgives the older sister all of her very malicious, calculating actions, even though they came between her and and the man she loves. The younger sister would do anything for the older sister to preserve the family relationship. Sterns, I hope you're still glad you didn't marry that boy when you were 14!

Made of Honor is remarkable in the way that it always is to me when people still believe in marriage. It seems to me that if extra-marital sex is fine, then marriage is entirely unnecessary. But somehow people keep on getting married. And I rejoice. In this movie Patrick Dempsey, former playboy to the Nth degree, finally realizes that he wants to settle down, and, of course, it works out neatly in the end.




27 Dresses I found to have very little merit at all, and I've been in a lot of weddings. I think that there was one funny line: "You can cut it off and wear it again." That is actually supremely funny. Also, the main boy in it is super cute in a not-the-same-as-every-hollywood-boy sort of way, which is another redeeming factor. The acting is some of the poorest and most awkward I've ever seen.

No comments: