Sunday, November 30, 2008

An Apology for Letter Writing

From a dear Polish boy, a beautiful explanation of the advantages of letters:

"I have to explain You reasons of my willingness of the paper brief writing. There are many of them. It is very (in my opinion) pleasure to write and to receive letters of this kind, so it makes the people closer to each other. It is probably the most important reason of the art of letter writing which is used by the Mankind. And there is my personal reason--With the letter I can recall and develop my vocabulary. And it's the way of the stop to forgetting you language ability. With the letter I, but I think, not only I, but everyone, can focus his opinions, explain them on paper and take the responsibility for them. It's the importance of the text, that you have to treat as something important, as your "declaration of will." The text, especially when it is text from somebody important, known to you, comes into remembrance faster and for longer time. So it gives also a good occasion to writes something distinctive, to touch one theme and to start a discussion."

I couldn't agree more. And I envy his skill at letter writing--the cohesiveness of his letter is quite remarkable.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Letter writing is WONDERFUL. I came over here looking for some interesting things about letter writing. Thanks for posting this! I maintain a letter writing web site.