Monday, November 24, 2008

Yet There With My Love I'm Home

The Fiddler on the Roof song, "Far From the Home I Love" explores a tension between home and love (the middle daughter falls in love with a man who is, I think, in a camp in Siberia) and resolves this tension in the final line: "Yet there with my love I'm home."

It's seems to me that this is right: at the end of the day, home is a person or relationship. This is paralleled by Augustine's realization of our condition of restlessness until we rest in God. Our home, then, is finally heaven, which is less of a place and more of a relationship to a person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post considering your love of central Pennsylvania...

Emily Hale said...

Yeah, I know--I don't 100% believe what I wrote. What do you think?