Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Art of Losing.2

I also briefly lost my car today. This happens from time to time in Georgetown--there are so many streets, and I've parked on most of them at one time or another. Usually it's fine because I'm alone, and it eventually comes to me. When I'm with others, the problem becomes more acute. For one thing, I'm too busy talking to concentrate properly on where I left my car. For another, there is more pressure to remember quickly and not take your time about remembering.

S: "Where'd you park?"

Emily: "I have no idea. P Street."

JBL [as we walk down P Street and my car isn't there]: "One of those was a lie. I think it was the second one."

Emily: "I wouldn't call it a lie, exactly: I didn't intend an untruth. [Revelation:] I parked on O! I'm positive!"

S [unbelieving]: "Let's drive around in my car to find your car."

Emily: "But does the key fob [which unlocks the door and flashes the headlights, modern, modern car that I have!, with such a clever way of allowing you to find it] work from inside another car?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[sigh] i miss you