Monday, December 8, 2008

I Love Baltimore.2




















Baltimore's Walters Art Museum is delightful, in part because "art" is broadly understood--it's more just a collection of beautiful things. There is a moose head and an armadillo (and other strange animals, one of which contributed to a later nightmare, I think) in the same room with a painting of a wedding feast by Pieter Brueghel the Younger. Everything is just packed into these rooms, which means that some of the art is displayed in a European fashion--covering the whole wall (as opposed to the way we typically do it in America--a couple of pictures on one wall, all at the same height). And then there was a jewelry exhibit! And a room full of vases and clocks and a Faberge egg (for some reason I've had a fascination with Faberge eggs since I learned about them from the tour guide on a bus during my first visit to New York City--remember that doubledecker bus with an open top in the rain and grating over the window in the bottom, Diana? And your father's window getting stuck down on the way home? And Ellis Island and Emma Lazarus?).


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course! but at what point did a Faberge egg work its way into our tour??

Emily Hale said...

I know! It was incredibly tangential--the tour guide pointed out some museum that we passed (that I couldn't even make out through the grated windows shielding us from the rain) that she said had something like 6 faberge eggs (which was possibly remarkable). I think that I had just read a book about faberge eggs and so was thrilled to hear this. Either that, or afterward, I looked up what faberge eggs were...