Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reflections on the Inaugural Address

Beginning his address with "Fellow citizens" was effective: It downplayed his appointment to president and called others to join with him in his work.

Goodness gracious, it seems to me that saying, "Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus, and unbelievers" was an important move: I haven't heard a rejection of religion combined with religion in this way in political rhetoric before. This is significant and problematic. Not that we should force people to believe something, but this doesn't mean that we should praise and esteem and normalize unbelief, either.

I was surprised that he appealed to the Founders. Maybe that is always done, but I think it's good.

The revelation of our common humanity and revelation of a new era of peace stuff was scary. Not that we don't share a common humanity, and not that we aren't more aware of that now than we were at time in our history (not only of the nation, but also of the world), but it isn't like that humanity progressively unfolds. Also, we should wish for and and seek and pray for peace, but I don't think that Obama nor anyone else can guarantee that to us.

Finally, goodness gracious, I don't think that he gets to talk about the slaughter of the innocents.

P.S. I was satisfied with the poem, although I do think that using some sort of verse form makes poetry more accessible to the public (which is, I think, a good thing).

No comments: