Saturday, May 2, 2009

On Clothing

"Paradise implies the absence of garments, that is, the absence of attrition, wear (archetypal image of time)." --Mircea Eliade, The Sacred and The Profane

This resonates with me: my mother noted from when I was very young I hated any sort of stains on my clothes, and that I would immediately try to get them out (even now, there is a stain on my pink sweater that's bothering me--it is from wine and a dinner party--I rushed to my room when it happened and changed into a nearly identical pink sweater). Similarly, I hated distressing fabric, as well as the inevitable fact that clothes get old (yesterday I bought patches to cover the small beginnings of a hole in a very old pair of jeans). I think this corresponds quite neatly to my aversion to change.

1 comment:

Percy said...

In The Great Divorce, some of the people in Heaven wear clothes and some don't. But the ones who don't seem like they are arrayed like royalty, and the clothing of the ones who do seems an extension of their bodies.

So that's kind of neat.

Also, I wish I had two identical pink sweaters, or even nearly identical.