Thursday, May 14, 2009

On Clubbing

My ears have never buzzed. And now they won't stop. It feels like I've been underwater for a while.

Henry (early in the evening): "You love dancing, don't you?" [with a sudden recognition--this is the horrible thing--I do love it, and am not good at it].

And later: "It isn't that you're too young for this music [it was 80s music], it's that you've never listened to any music" (he found me out).

Me to Henry: "Why don't you dance with that girl?"
H: "Why would I?"
Me: "Because she clearly wants to dance with you."
H: "Nah, I'll leave her with that nerd."
Suddenly I realized that I, too, was dancing with a nerd.

I highly recommend bringing bodyguards while dancing, because the point in the evening comes when men get the urge to pair off with any woman who may be in their line of sight. This way, they didn't dare come close, and if they did, they went away just as quickly. Really, who meets people in bars? This seems like a really horrible idea to me.

Oh, and then the left-handed compliment: So my friends and I danced for hours and hours. At one point people who had a table near us got up to leave. These people are rich and well-dressed, drinking their $150 bottle of Grey Goose, or something. The men are suits and nice ties; the women know what to wear to a club (I, on the other hand, had/have no idea). I was one of the youngest people in the place by a good bit. On her way out, one of the women at the table (she couldn't have been so old herself) went out of her way to grab my arm and say, "You are sooo cute." Goodness gracious--I felt about12 years old, was sure I'd chosen to wear the wrong dress, and was scandalized to realize that other people could tell that I have no idea how to dance!

No comments: