Monday, June 22, 2009

The Silmarillion in China: An Email.2 (For Father's Day)

Hey dad,

I just wanted to wish you a happy Father’s Day. I don’t really know how to send letters here ... so I figured Id just send an email... We had to write a 100 character composition the other day [in Chinese] and I wrote it about dad. It was pretty nice…I would send it to you but I don’t think your computer can display characters. I said that dad was smart and kind hearted in it…but I also said he was a doctor and better than me at basketball, so it wasn’t entirely true. Anyhow, I hope you really enjoy yourself today.

There is actually a small typhoon that is hitting us today. It's not that big. (We have all been yelling “aiyataifeng lai la!!!” all day. It means “ahhh…a typhoon is coming!”). I've been finding time to get out and relax, though. I went out walking by myself the other day and just walked up and down random streets that had little vendor places all along the street. There are really neat little places that will fix watches and sew/fix your clothes. I bought a book of the most popular Chinese ghost stories at a tiny shop. So I've been working on translating that.

No comments: