Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Death of Summer

Best line from Obama's speech: "Medicare is a sacred trust that must be passed down to future generations." This reminded me of something like Burke on the rights of Englishman, which come almost sacredly from our fathers. I don't know what to say, except that turning health care into a moral issue misses morality and virtue. Our faith is a sacred trust that must be passed down to future generations. Politics are important, but let's not turn political action into moral action (not that they're entirely separated either).

ALSO, I've had my first sections of the year. Today, one girl was trying to pronounce Thrasymachus, an admittedly difficult word. In the space of about one minute, she pronounced it as both "Thrasimiac" and "Theramayus." I wish she would've kept talking.

There was a boy in one of my sections unlike any other kid I've had in class before. Actually, he was unlike any person I'd ever met before. Every time he opened his mouth, it was to give a speech, complete with either an introductory analogy or an introductory joke. He went off for several minutes about California and gold mining and finding the nugget of wealth in Plato's dialogues. Basically, the kid wants to be a politician. And every sentence he utters is a political argument. I don't actually have any idea what I'm going to do with him.

2 comments:

Wystan said...

"let's not turn political action into moral action (not that they're entirely separated either)"

...are there political actions that have no moral aspect?

whigwham said...

"Thus it is that moral philosophy is divided into three parts. The first of these, which is called individual (monastic) ethics, considers an individual's operations as ordered to an end. The second, called domestic ethics, considers the operations of the domestic group. The third, called political science, considers the operations of the civic group."
-From St. Thomas' Commentary on the Ethics, I, 1, 6.