Saturday, November 14, 2009

On Cupcakes


I've been thinking about cupcakes lately, due in part to Hopkins' recent post. The article she links to suggests that cupcakes are a lie--they are prettier than they are delicious and they advertise a false nostalgia; also, they're faddish and now name brand.

Here's my comment on Hopkins' post:

"Before a lecture I was having lunch with a political theorist. We passed a cupcake shop, and I started ranting about how I don't understand the appeal (my mother never made us cupcakes--whoopie pies were probably the closest thing; I think cupcakes are a little fussy for central Pennsylvania). Anyway, he said that people like cupcakes for the same reason that they like baths--it takes them back to their mother's womb. I also didn't understand that explanation. I like baths because they keep me awake when I need to do more work."

I re-post this here because I bought Georgetown Cupcake designer cupcakes for a political theorist colloquium this week and once again brought up my question about their appeal. One of my colleagues suggested that people like having a whole that belongs just to them--it isn't a piece of something, like a piece of coffee cake, but rather their own, which they chose from among different kinds. This is way more persuasive to me than a mother's womb.

2 comments:

FLG said...

You need to go to Baked & Wired. I've tried all of them in DC, and they're by far the best. If you don't like them, then you don't like cupcakes.

hopkins said...

I think that's it. I mean, they're trendy because they were featured on sex and the city, and other chic things like that, but why did they catch on really? Because you don't have the share. And they're cute.

Don't get me wrong, I adore cupcakes. I love how whimsical and spur-of-the-moment they are. but I think the trend is a bit ridiculous. Why would I spend $4 for something spur of the moment? I'd rather get a beer.