Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dinner Party.12



















I realized lately that a large percentage of the enjoyment I get out of dinner parties is due to Fr. Schall--what a completely charming and witty man! The other night, the Stearns-meets-Fr. Schall dinner party was no exception.

For instance: "Do you girls think Peter's too skinny?" (about another Jesuit priest, when he stopped eating)
Fr. Peter: "I'm too skinny?! You're too skinny!"

On girls wearing boots: "The fact is that some girls can just wear anything and some girls just can't wear anything at all."

When I asked him if he's ever tried his hand at fiction: "Not before I met you!"

On someone's canonization: "Peter getting his Ph.D. will be the second miracle."

And the list goes on. The men provided excellent company and wit, and the women provided excellent food. Stearns' focaccia is a Little Gidding dinner party staple (especially since I'm no good at dinner parties; biscuits with me are about a 50/50 chance). Hopkins made blood orange ice cream (it was pink!) with brandy caramel sauce, which was amazing. I made a roast and asparagus and couscous. Oh, and red velvet whoopie pies (at the request of Sr. Margarita Aloysius, which I've vowed never to make again--they're exactly like chocolate whoopie pies, but you add a bottle of red food coloring. This seems like it would neither be particularly health conscious, nor economically efficient. And yet, there is something incredibly delicious looking about the dark red color they become. I really can't describe it.

1 comment:

hopkins said...

Maybe the red helps you forget that they're chocolate and so you get over the guilt of eating them.

All I know is...I ate two!