Thursday, August 26, 2010

Schloss-Nymphenburg (Munich.5)

Schloss-Nymphenburg is a royal summer home just a bit outside of Munich. The combination of "nymph" with "burg" always seemed funny to me--nymph is so romantic and burg is so German.



The royal residence is covered with a swan motif.


Here's one that combines the swan motif with the woman motif. Below are two of the "halls of beauties," which were commissioned by various rulers--they basically got an artist to paint pictures of all of the women who these rulers thought were pretty. Goodness gracious, you can imagine how up in arms this made me. If I were one of these men's wife...


The room below, the green room, was obviously my favorite--the combination of green and gold was lovely and a little worn is just the way I like.


The grounds of the palace were enormous--you could stroll all day.

No comments: