Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Cocktail Party


When Hopkins, Stearns and I went to New York to see The Cocktail Party performed, we immediately hatched a plan to read it together. We picked out our parts--Hopkins loved Julia Shuttlewaithe, Stearns loved Celia, and somehow I got stuck with Lavinia, the one person in the play who has really no sense of humor! So, recently, we found some guys to read the boy parts (and Carrot obligingly read one of them! And made an amazing, amazing lemon cake.) and had a reading, complete with cocktails (and absinthe--that's sort of like a cocktail, right? Of course, lighting it on fire is just a blast).

The play is really very funny, in addition to being profound. One of my favorite lines is when Edward says (and this makes only slightly more sense in context than it does out of it):

"Oh my God, what have I done? The python. The octopus.
Must I become after all what you would make me?"

The python. The octopus.

No comments: