Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Perfect Saturday

Yesterday was the perfect Saturday. First of all, September is perfect--a little cool, but not cold; the tourists have (mostly) gone home.

I met my two best girlfriends from Baylor for brunch in Eastern Market--they were both in DC on the same weekend. We went to Le Pain Quotidien, where we just ordered baguette and smothered it with all of the spreads they had (including chocolate hazelnut, praline, and loads of jams). And then I was quickly off to a second brunch at The Market Lunch (who knew The Market Lunch had breakfast??), where there are evidently two things to get: "The Brick"--a sandwich with eggs, potatoes, and sausage, and Blue and Buck (or Buck and Blue, I forget)--Buckwheat and blueberry pancakes. I chose the latter, and they were quite good.

Of course, walking around Eastern Market itself is delightful:



For some reason I was into taking pictures of eggplants today.



And I guess multi-colored coxcombs are the new thing.



These beets were variegated!



I like that being Amish tomatoes makes them real tomatoes! I also like that just because Amish people grew them, they become "Amish tomatoes." As if tomatoes can have cultural identifications...

I of course stopped by Jim Tam Map Man, who is my Dante prints dealer. He found me something special...

And I never miss Capitol Hill books, with it's precarious piles threatening to fall at every moment.



And its charming signs... (the proprietor has quite a sense of humor, and I think that perhaps he might have recognized me after dozens of visits--he gave me a little discount on my purchase).


And then--the serendipitous part of my morning--I ran into a library book sale! And came out with an armful of books.

1 comment:

hopkins said...

my favorite shelf