Friday, October 8, 2010

Dissertation.2

Today I met one of my dissertation committee members to talk about my progress. We also swapped back exercises and complained about the way that this profession is bad for your back. In addition, he complained about interfolio (administrative centralization) and told me that he's happy to write do the extra work sending letters if it means he's able to avoid interfolio! (I think that Tocqueville was less concerned about administrative centralization and more concerned about governmental centralization, but I was so happy to have someone who was happy to do the work that I created for him, that I didn't bring that up.)

3 comments:

Wystan said...

You've read the Ancien Regime, right? Administrative centralization is governmental centralization.

Emily Hale said...

Ah, I had it backward--governmental centralization is the one that doesn't kill you (metaphorically speaking); administrative centralization does. It just strikes me as counterintuitive that there is any difference between emailing out 15 letters of recommendation yourself, and having a computer (or some anonymous person associated with a computer) do it, so I got confused.

Wystan said...

It strikes you as counterintuitive because it is counterintuitive.