Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Goodness Gracious!

The night that I returned to my beloved hometown, I noticed a flickering orange light in the distance (like an orange thunderstorm) after my dad's basketball game (he's a coach). I asked my family what it was. "Mordor," they replied. Now, I am not up on The Lord of the Rings (I am the lone member of my family to be out of the loop on this one), but even I know that that is the bad place.

Know what it is? They are burning the natural gas that escapes from the natural gas wells (now this is all hear-say, but evidently they do this for a while just after they drill the well and before they can cap it off). When I see something like this, I feel as if all of my suspicions were legitimized. Alas, I didn't have a camera with me, or else I would have captured it for you, dear readers.

No comments: