Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Eliot Letters.1

[To Conrad Aiken]

Saturday 21 November [1914]
Junior Common Room
Merton College, Oxford

Dear Conrad,

Will you do me a great favour? I enclose a money order for four dollars. Will you go to Galvin, or to Howard in Cambridge, and order some red or pink roses, Killarney I suppose. I understand that Emily is to act in the Cambridge Dramatic play which will be early in December--I suppose the 5th or the 12th; you will have to find out which date, if you can. I enclose a card; please put it in a small envelope and address it to her simply Miss Hale, "Brattle Hall", and have the roses for the Saturday night performance.The name of the play is Mrs. Bumpstead-Leigh. If you can't find out when the play comes off, or if you can't find out without conspicuous inquiry, or if, as is quite possible, this reaches you too late, simply hold the money and send the flowers at Christmas. ...

[This letter is written while Eliot is in England, and Emily Hale and Conrad Aiken are in Cambridge, MA/Boston.]

No comments: