Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Brideshead Revisited

A long time ago I read Brideshead Revisited and then watch the BBC miniseries. I didn't care for it too much--I remember thinking that Lord Marchmain crossing himself at the end was just way over-the-top-ly romantic. And I like stuff that's over the top, but it was too much, even for me.

This reading I enjoyed far more, although I couldn't sleep after I finished it, because I was so depressed. Waugh did an excellent job of conveying the range of people practicing Catholicism--you certainly can't say that the novel is too neat, nor that it offers too high a view of Catholicism. In fact, the Catholic characters in the novel were, in a sense, the most messed up (aside from maybe Nanny, who seemed, ironically, mostly sane).

Rex's conversion (in order to marry) is one of the most delightful parts. The priest who gives him instruction says, "Then again I asked him: 'Supposing the Pope looked up and saw a cloud and said, 'It's going to rain,' would that be bound to happen?' 'Oh yes, father.' 'But supposing it didn't?' He thought a moment and said, 'I suppose it would be sort of raining spiritually, only we were too sinful to see it.'"

Goodness gracious, though, I really can't forgive Charles for not going to see his new daughter upon his return for Latin America just because he wants to spend time with Julia, his new girlfriend! I suppose we're supposed to see his affair as selfish, and ignoring his daughter as part of that selfishness.

I'm still ambivalent about Lord Marchmain crossing himself on his deathbed. On the one hand, something that's great about Christianity is that it's about faith, not about proof. On the other hand, proof sometimes plays a role (such as with Thomas putting his hand in Christ's side).


(picture)

No comments: