Thursday, February 17, 2011

Martin's

Martin's is the Georgetown restaurant probably best known as the place where JFK proposed to Jackie. It was also the place where I was introduced to the Bourbon Manhattan, the drink of my academic lineage (it all started, so the story goes, with H.L. Mencken). I've been there twice for brunch in the last couple of weeks, so I thought I'd tell you about it. I am pretty unimpressed by their Eggs Benedict (I had it with ham, and the home fries were super disappointing). Eggs Benedict is only my favorite brunch item ever, as I may or may not have mentioned here before (followed closely by sausage and biscuits and quiche--okay, so I just like a lot of brunch items). But what did impress me was their "Hot Brown" (this is a southern thing, I guess). The Hot Brown, at least at Martin's, is comprised of turkey on toast, topped with tomato and bacon and a whole lot of sauce, served in a skillet. The sauce is called "rarebit" and I don't really know what's in it (besides lots of cheese), but it sure is good.


(picture)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Specifically, the Hot Brown is a Kentucky thing (created at the Brown Hotel in Louisville), and it should also include a slice of ham. One of my favorite dishes.

Anonymous said...

So Eggs Benedict is the Unofficial Official Breakfast of the Catholic Church in Scotland.

After Ratzinger's election, Rangers, the Protestant football team in Glasgow took this off the brunch menu at their stadium in case it offended their fans, who don't want anything to do with Catholicism. The (predominantly Catholic) Celtic fans decided that this was too good an opportunity to miss so adopted it as their brunch item of choice.

I try and get it when we beat them. Plus it's also very good.

Juan Jose