Thursday, March 24, 2011

His Girl Friday

In which Walter Burns (Cary Grant) convinces Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell) to ditch her fiance and un-divorce him and the newspaper business.

There's loads of passionate, fast-talking, witty banter in this film (although the film is better when it sticks to witty banter between Walter and Hildy than when Cary Grant alone engages in physical comedy--he just doesn't quite pull it off):

"Hildy: I suppose I proposed to you?
Walter: Well, you practically did, making goo-goo eyes at me for two years until I broke down.
[impersonates Hildy, flutters his eyelashes]
'Oh, Walter.' And I still claim I was tight the night I proposed to you. If you had been a gentleman, you would have forgotten all about it. But not you!"

and

"Walter: Look, Hildy, I only acted like any husband that didn't want to see his home broken up.
Hildy: What home?
Walter: 'What home?' Don't you remember the home I promised you?"

It's apparent from Walter and Hildy's lunch with her fiance that, although she claims to want to settle down with a nice man and have a family, she isn't quite cut out for it: both she and Walter order coffee with whiskey and light their cigarettes at the same time. Her fiance, on the other hand, orders a water. Walter knows her well and is quite confident in his ability to talk her into coming back to him and the paper. And he does.


(picture) (quotes from imdb)

2 comments:

Margaret E. Perry said...

AH! one of the greatest!

Diana said...

Agreed!