Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rant: On Leaving Early

I am really not qualified to write this rant, because I've left my fair share of things early (although, in my defense, it was mostly in college, when I was so busy that my activities overlapped on top of each other). And there have been plenty of things that I've wanted to leave early from, even if I didn't.

But really! People leave everything early these days: church, sporting events, even musical performances! A little respect here--I was with someone who suggested leaving early from the last Georgetown game I was at--you know, I feel really badly for the basketball players. They play so hard the whole game, and then at the end, whether they're winning or losing (with only the exception of very close games), people start leaving to beat the crowds. This is so silly. Most crowds do not take that long to leave (certainly not the number of people who go to Georgetown games). Also! The orchestra concert I was at in Philly a couple of weeks ago shocked me! People started leaving during the ovation! I know it goes on and on and on, but even a long ovation only takes a whole 5 minutes--you'll live. Plus, it's the custom, so just go with it. And church! Don't even get me started. Sing the freaking songs--even if they're terrible, and then you won't feel a need to escape the church the second that the priest's back is turned. All of this seems to me to be connected to the mentality of the consumer: I bought a service and can terminate my participation at any point. I am entitled to your performance and will leave when I'm no longer interested. Kids leaving class early is another example of this--or taking 10 minute bathroom breaks in the middle of class.

No comments: