Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Silver Diner

I visited the Silver Diner in Clarendon about a year ago. It was nothing special, aside from being wildly cheap. It was a chain restaurant with standard selections. (Bob & Edith's is a vastly superior diner, although not nearly as conveniently close, and is also small and crowded.)

Lately, the Silver Diner has rebranded itself into a locavor's dream diner. I'm really not sure that this is a combination that should ever happen. First of all, I couldn't find biscuits and sausage gravy on the menu! Since I've sort eaten all of the eggs benedict that I can stand for the moment, this was what I was looking for. And seemed like something that should be a staple at a diner. (There was some breakfast item with gravy and perhaps a biscuit, but I think it also came with a steak, and since I am not Ron Swanson, I passed.) Instead, I had an omelet, which was fine, but a little tough. The home fries were really good--crunch and browned! I think that what I'd also been looking for and missing was salt! Unfortunately, the Silver Diner is no longer wildly cheap. It's still relatively cheap, but not like it used to be.


(picture)

1 comment:

Miss Self-Important said...

Ew, I used to live by this place and it was thoroughly blech unless all you wanted was drip coffee and reheated pie at 2 am. They also had wifi but no plugs--perhaps a previous effort to be trendier than the competition, which can't be that hard given that Bob and Edith's is in a trailer.