Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bachelorette

Our Favorite Girl Cousin and Ilana and I watched The Bachelorette the other night. I've seen a couple of episodes of The Bachelor before, but I've never watched this. It was sort of a relief that there was only one girl and lots of boys, because I can't handle the girl bickering of reality television shows (this always happens on Tyra's modeling show). I thought it was clear that, no matter what anyone was saying, the guys who were on that show were there to beat out other men. They were not actually there to fall in love; they were there to win. (This is not a critique of these men: if they were actually on that show to fall in love, I'd think that they were utter fools--if you're interested in falling in love, what are you doing on a game show?)

At one point, the bachelorette referred to "my relationships"--goodness, what a height of silliness! The idea of having lots of relationships with lots of guys at the same time! (I always found this funny in The Bachelor--making out with one guy one day and another guy the next.)

The contrived quality of the show led to the casual, colloquial use of some silly technical language. For instance, "one on ones," which are individual dates, as opposed to the group dates (!).

Then there was the guy with three ivy league degrees who had to go to the (Thai!) hospital in an ambulance after the bachelorette had the guys fight each other. How predictable! (Not gonna lie: I thought he and his slightly droopy eye were cute when he got beat up in his hot pink boxing shorts, but then, maybe I'm just a sucker for nerdy guys.)

Mama Leopard was passing by and sat down for a moment. When the television gave out and one guy's picture got stuck on the screen, she may or may not have said, "I'm falling for that one." She's going to kill me for writing that.


(picture)

No comments: