Sunday, June 12, 2011

Coffee and Puns


Greenberry's, a coffee shop in between Courthouse and Rosslyn, is becoming independent and changing its name to "Bean Good: The Coffee Pub." Besides being a silly name and reminding me how much I don't like that coffee shop (it is in no way comfortable), this reminds me of how much coffee shops love names with puns! Why is this? I know of no other type of business that loves puns this much.

For instance, at Buzz (that name is more or less a pun, right?), the Georgetown-esque coffee shop in Ballston, a shot of espresso added to a coffee makes it a "Shot in the Dark." The coffee shop in Waco was called "Common Grounds" (I think there was a related coffee shop called "Uncommon Grounds." In New Jersey there's "It's a Grind." Actually, this is yet another point in favor of NSS, my favorite coffee shop ever: there are no puns associated with the place that I can think of.

This also reminds me, as Percy aptly wrote the other day, "I've measured out my life in coffee shops."


(picture)

1 comment:

Frankincense said...

What about suburban hair salons? Their names are almost always excruciating puns.