Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Can See That This Is Trash But I Like It

Okay, so I wouldn't say exactly that I like it, but I am glued to it as if it's a giant faux pas that I can't look away from--something like the Texas women with their giant teased blond hair and their snakeskin cowboy boots. I just stare.

The World According to Paris--

What I'm most amazed about is that all of her friends (and her boyfriend and her mother and her friend Brooke [who used to be married to Charlie Sheen]'s therapist) all agree to be filmed rather constantly.* I'm curious about how much of the script is drafted and how much is just the things that they say normally. I mean, if it's drafted, then it's super crappy. If it's just the things that they say normally, then they're unbelievably dramatic and overblown.

Honestly, Paris's mom seems like a wise lady. She teaches Paris a lot of important lessons (although most of the lessons, including forgiving your friends when they mess up, should have been learned between 6 and 7 years old, not at 30).

I think that the show is misnamed--it should be Paris' World--it isn't clear that the world that she lives in is anything like the rest of the world. For instance, in one episode, she's gained a little weight, so the media asks if she's pregnant. This causes her to wonder if she is pregnant. That seems to me like a strange reaction to rumors floating around. Also: She sees herself as a business woman (she keeps talking about building an empire). Also: At one point one of her friends says that Paris "belongs to the world." It's like she sees herself as royalty. I'm still not 100 percent sure how she's famous at all (her becoming famous was before the time that I had any awareness of pop culture).

Funny: She has an app in which you take a picture with your iPhone and then, BOOM, there is Paris in your picture. Hilarious!


*Incidentally, her the therapist doesn't say one useful thing. She doesn't actually say many things period. She just gently asks obvious questions. I think I might would like to be a therapist. But probably not a celebrity therapist.


(picture)

No comments: